A practical hands-on workshop conducted by ERROLL NELSON PIRES ‘the international braid magician’.
The participants would create simple products , i.e; a simple key chain, with their own hands , under the guidance of the master. The technique is one cord passing through another to strengthen the braid and originally was used for camel belts for saddles and harnesses.
About the Artist
Erroll Nelson Pires is trained as a textile designer from the National Institute of Design. He taught at NID from 1984 to 2011. After graduating from NID, Erroll worked in a textile mill and trained with the leather division of Tata Exports in leather garments and goods. Using recycled industrial yarn and his exceptionally long thumbnails, Errol creates magic as he deftly locks and interlocks one twisted cord through another. Being a teacher for most of his life, Mr. Pires comes as an honest, humble and patient tutor who answers numerous queries of his disciples who are keen to learn this art.
Structure of the Workshop
- Introduce the 3 strand braid – the one done by girls with their hair.
- Further to the 3 strand 4,5,6,7,8,9, strand braids would be made.
- Introduction to Ply – Split Braiding and the various techniques.
- POT – Plain Oblique Twining
- SCOT – Single Course Oblique Twining
- Constructing key chains using POT and SCOT.
Preferred Age Group for the Braiding Workshop - 12 to 16 Years
Date of Workshop - 24th April to 27th April
Venue - Jilling Terraces, Nainital